collapse

Author Topic: 2017 Movies  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Deckard

• The Ringbearer
  • Baltier, Rogue extraordinaire
2017 Movies
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:17:58 PM »
Films that I was waiting for 2017:
Obviously Star Wars: Episode VIII is top of the list even after the sad news of Carrie Fisher's passing

I'm intrigued by Logan as it's likely the last hurrah for both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart

As previously mentioned my initial thoughts of  Vol 1 improved considerably on second viewing and so I cannot wait for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Though I'd rather this was coming from Neil Blomkamp I'm interested to see what Ridley Scott produces with Alien: Covenant

Not to mention Blade Runner 2049, War for the Planet of the Apes, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Transformers: The Last Knight, Thor: Ragnarok,
xXx 3: The Return of Xander Cage, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, Underworld: Blood Wars

2016 in retrospect was a pretty good year for films after an underwhelming 2015, however, 2017 looks set to be a monster as the films above are merely a selection the list could have gone on!

The Excellent:
Rogue One is simply put a fantastic movie that does the entire Star Wars franchise a huge amount of credit, I would safely categorise it as the second best Star Wars movie ever made and would happily watch it again, at no point was I disappointed, which is impressive considering the level of praise I heard people heaping upon this.

I caught up on Ant-Man and really wish I'd seen it in the cinema, but somehow I missed the boat, I watched it on blu-ray and enjoyed it thoroughly, it reminded me of the quality of the first Iron Man movie and did well despite being absent of the huge cast of characters that we have grown to expect with MCU movies

I also caught up on The Grand Budapest Hotel which is a typical Wes Anderson film - meaning it's quite quirky yet very charming, a decent watch

The Good:
Captain America: Civil War is very enjoyable it features some great set pieces and it's genuinely interesting to see where the various characters align themselves as the move goes on, it could have been dubbed the Avengers due to the number of people involved but at it's core it remains focussed on Captain America.

I really enjoyed X-Men: Apocalypse I would say you need to have watched the others in the franchise but it's well worth it with some lovely nods to the other movies in the series

Regarding Jason Bourne it was good to have Matt Damon back after the Renner episode, it had everything you'd expect from a Bourne movie with a nice somewhat topical plot, definitely worth a watch

Doctor Strange was a character that I knew nothing about yet the movie managed to explain him to me without feeling like I was watching a lengthy origins story (something Spider-Man has always  been guilty of) the remainder of the film was well done and also fitted into the MCU very well

The OK:
Star Trek Beyond can probably fill aggrieved at being categorised as only OK, I enjoyed it at the time but was not blown away as I was with the first movie in the reboot cycle, it focussed less on the ship and more on the ground which was a nice change in style but it was by no means a triumph

Whilst The Magnificent Seven can probably feel quite happy about being dubbed OK as many would have labelled it Bad, I felt it was deferential to the original without being a copycat it added some things that were better and others that felt forced but you will not dislike watching this

I finally caught up on Chappie, which was a lot darker than I expected, my gut told me it would be Short Circuit but it reminded me more of ET in many ways and though a nice story I do feel it wanted a sequel perhaps too much

I also caught up on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. which was an interesting take on a classic that I hope they do continue, with perhaps some refinement

And I also caught up on and concluded The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 this was a nice ending to the series as it harked back to the original, however, it did become a little too self-righteous in the end, it certainly didn't inspire me to read the books

The Bad:
Nothing really that bad this year, maybe luck on my part.

The Disappointing:
So Suicide Squad simply didn't know what sort of move it wanted to be. There were a lot of soppy heroic moments that I felt didn't land and the anti-hero notes were quite lifeless. All the jokes that I'd enjoyed in the trailer felt thrown in during the film with no link to the scene. It's not a bad movie it's just not as good as it should have been - with Marvel delivering such good products DC need to produce better movies if they want me to keep going to the cinema to watch them

I'm in the minority but I thought Deadpool was average,  for a Fox Marvel movie it's actually better than average, but I feel they put too much in the trailer though, if you saw the trailer of Deadpool then you've pretty much seen all the best bits, it was hugely overhyped

I must stress that though this was disappointing Now You See Me 2 was still a good film  unsurprisingly it wasn't as good as the first one (an excellent sleeper hit) some of the casting choices were a bit odd and detracted from the film, losing Isla Fisher was always going to have an impact but they compounded it with their replacement. The set pieces were really good, but the story was a bit weak and lacked the killer blows from the first movie

Films I missed but want to watch:
Dad's Army, Zoolander 2, Gods of Egypt, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, The Jungle Book, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Independence Day: Resurgence, Assassin's Creed, Passengers

Films I own but have yet to watch:
Clash of the Titans, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus,  Shutter Island, RoboCop, Interstellar, Conan: The Barbarian

Not Seen!
2015 Fantastic Four, Creed, The Revenant
2014 The Raid 2, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, I, Frankenstein
2013 Oblivion, The Lone Ranger, Elysium, American Hustle
2012 Life of Pi, Ghost Rider 2, Wrath of the Titans, The Amazing Spider-Man, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
2011 Priest, Death Race 2, True Grit
2010 Daybreakers, Universal Soldier 3, Percy Jackson, Green Zone, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Centurion
2009 Angels & Demons, WALL-E, Avatar, Dorian Gray
2008 Transporter 3, Death Race, Saw VI & VI

Offline Rifugio

• Starfleet Command
  • Administrator
  • Ad astra - "To the stars"
    • Santuario
Re: 2017 Movies
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:04:15 PM »
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Excellent my favorite film guide has returned. 

So far I've only been able to see Doctor Strange from your list.  I really enjoyed it.  He was one of my favorite comic book characters along side Iron Man.  However, Iron Man became a firm favorite after the movies now the balance has been restored and if anything I prefer Strange

I saw the film at the cinema and turned to my friend and said - this guy has the best American accent I have ever heard, It was just so clear...

The guy on the left was a gift from Kal - really cool figure and you've got to love that cape :wizard:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 2
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.