collapse

Author Topic: Hors d'oeuvre of Battle (War of Rights, Scourge of War and Ultimate General)  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Rifugio

• Starfleet Command
  • Administrator
  • Ad astra - "To the stars"
    • Santuario
During an uncharacteristic lull at work I was able to spare some attention to a rapidly expanding article explaining why I was not drawn to historically based multiplayer variant's of games such as Mount and Blade Napoleonic Wars, and taking a look at the new War of Rights American Civil War (ACW) Kickstarter (Campfire Games).

The article outlined an FPS where all the players were commanders at various levels of units of AI troops based on a wonderful if rather dated ACW game called Take Command 2nd Manassas. 

Quote from: myself
In Take Command 2nd Manassas the player takes the place of a commander in order of battle from one of the engagements in the Battle of Second Manassas (Second Bull Run).  Therefore the higher the officer that you play the more units under your command (although your ability to finally co-ordinate) their attacks becomes more and more limited the further up the chain of command you go.  Orders are also time dependent meaning that as a general sending a change of plan to one of your units requires an AI runner or rider to deliver the message – providing they make it to the target command of the unit at all.  Furthermore there is an underlying psychology of local officers which means they are more likely to act in certain manners when operating independently to unfolding situations on the battlefield.  Psychology and quality of both the units and their commanders has a big impact on their performance in the battle as it unfolds.

I then went on to describe how much more engaging you could make an FPS version of such a game (without the gods eye view of the battlefield could be) going through the various levels of command, psychology of units, transmission of battlefield information, among others elements that could help make a more tactical thinking mans FPS.  My favourite section that I made quite a bit of progress on was how Players and their commands in ahistorical linked scenarios would have the opportunity to gain skill, ranks and ability for both their command and commanders.

At the stage of populating the above missive with screenshots prior to posting I visited the Mad Minute Games Site to discover that a new version of the Take Command engine had been created.  The Scourge of War (SOW) ACW series with a number of expansions dating back to 2010!  Indeed Scourge of War Waterloo (Released ~June 2015) was due to release tomorrow on Steam, coincidence?  This was quite a revelation as what disappointed me most about Take Command 2nd Manassas was that their was no co-op multiplayer, yet in the Scourge of War series they have actually implemented this, along with a number of other improvements.

Admittedly graphically they are more on the functional side, and no where near as immersive as War of Rights in first person, but this somewhat took the wind out of my sails as far as my article went.  Instead, I downloaded the demo for SOW Gettysburg and gave it a look last night.  I'll see how much SOW Waterloo is going for on steam tomorrow, and either pick it up or wait for the sales - but I am looking forward to giving the genre another shot.

Incidentally they released a 150th Anniversary edition of SOW Gettysburg which includes the Chancellorsville, Antietam, Pipe Creek and Brandy Station expansions (unfortunately not available from what I can tell from Steam).

I really enjoyed the far more accessible Ultimate General: Gettysburg, but have not seen any new information regarding the prospect of implementing co-op which is a shame.  I feel sure the following quote I found on the Mod DBase site was originally also on the Steam store page (which led me to buy the game) but, if the reference to co-operative gameplay was there before it has been removed now, which does not bode well.

Quote from: http://www.moddb.com/games/ultimate-general-gettysburg
Evolving Multiplayer Experience/
The game currently offers 5 maps for 1vs1 matches and is continuously improved according to user feedback. Plans for the future are to expand to a campaign multiplayer and support co-operative gameplay between multiple armies.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:07:03 PM by Rifugio »

Offline Rifugio

• Starfleet Command
  • Administrator
  • Ad astra - "To the stars"
    • Santuario
Managed to resist the temptation to buy Scourge of War Waterloo this weekend, thanks to two main reasons. 

1) I bought Hard West - which cut into the game budget (which I am already overspent on)
2) My preference is more for ACW at the moment (Cognitive Dissonance) after researching that article perhaps.

Probably a good call on the whole as I've just discovered Matrix games traditionally have a holiday sale that appears to kick off around 25th of Nov and could result in a upwards of 30% off if previous sales are any measure.  See following link for 2014 sale prices which began 25th Nov and ended Jan 11th.

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/wintersales/MG_MG_SALES_HolidaySale2014_PriceList_MG_02.pdf

UPDATE
I am glad I waited for the sale Scourge of War Gettysburg Anniversary Edition down from $80 to half price.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:53:11 PM by Rifugio »

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 1
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.